Thursday, November 3, 2011

Blah.

The last few weeks have been kinda blah. Hope of hearing back from a part-time job opportunity that sounds like it was designed for me (sustainability and environmental issues / entrepreneuring / pet care / admin fun / running errands for others) has been fading, and I'm kinda bummed out about it. I'm kinda bummed out about losing out on another job (likely to someone retired, as was mentioned in passing as being one of two people they were really interested in, the other being me). Of course, with the stagnant economy, I have to wonder if my asking price (less than the going rate for executive assistants) is too high for most places. Yes, I know people can hire monkeys to do basic admin work, but 15 years of experience with dealing with tons of types of people and services should count for something. Sigh. I do have a small part-time gig thanks to a friend, and although it's only 5 hours per week right now, I'm excited about that since I'm using my degree again kinda. Yay! :)

The utterly amazing Allie Brosh has amazed the interweb again with her Adventures in Depression. She truly has a gift for relating things many of us can't put adequately into words, and her illustrations are the icing on that caaaaake!

My husband and I are celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary today. We've received a lot of happy happy via Facebook, and I have no idea what we'll be doing this weekend on account of coming down with seasonal crud earlier this week. Pics from the early Tenthaversary trip to New Mexico are still pending for all to see. I started over with processing them since I've been playing more with Lightroom 3 and Elements 9, and it's slow going mainly because I need a better computer chair to reinforce my good posturing. Sitting up as I should without any support from my director's chair is kinda ouchy. I've at least made progress with cleaning out old photos, but am still slogging through cleaning out and organizing old files of every other type. Ai yah.

Before I forget to mention this again, my website is now up. (Hey, there's a pic from our recent NM trip!) There's so much going on behind the scenes it's ridiculous, but I really want to show all that when most everything is in place, and right now a few key parts are missing. I feel like Jeff Bezos with the Kindle Fire - working on the spectacular while noting what others are doing and how the public reaction goes. I've been doing so much intel on what other photographers do, how they have their sites laid out, that I've been yet again overwhelmed with all the design possibilities, but I've got a definite direction now so whoop there it is.

In very happy news, the third iPad has given me no problems at all. Looks like changing to a static IP address was the key for this one. Still have no idea why that didn't work for the others, but I'm glad I've had no issues since getting this one. Router still shows advanced security is in place, and all other wireless is working fine (except for my laptop birthed in 2006, but that's plugged in directly, 3 ft from the router in the living room, where I use it all the time anyway, so no big whoop there).

Occupy things have gotten interesting. Oakland is a mess, people in Dallas marched in support of the police who took some of them to jail a few days prior, New Yorkers are braving the early cold weather, etc. According to the Global Rich List, even with being on unemployment insurance I'm in the top 14.22% of people in the world. If I were still at my last job, I'd be in the top 2.3%. Compared to the other 7 billion people on this planet, I'm pretty freakin' lucky, blessed, fortunate, whatever. However. Even when I was there, most of my cashish went to necessities like groceries, gas, bills, medical visits, and medications. It amazes me what people think necessities are in this day and age. I've been in conversations about that, about generational perspectives, about OWS mixed in, and that's another post for another time but suffice it to say, I'm glad there are still people around who have the common sense to "use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." Speaking of the Occupy movement, these signs are heartbreaking, particularly today's sign by an allegedly 11 year young person.

I keep updating this post with tidbits I've forgotten to share. I wonder how much this messes up RSS feeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment