Saturday, November 5, 2011

Scars are cool like bowties and fezzes.

Too bad Yoda couldn't regenerate
into a Wookiee.
Thanks be to Facebook, I saw this pic from someone else that was shared by a friend. Looking through that someone else's other public pics was a great idea since I found a quote from another friend of someone else that's so freaky amazing that I have to share it right now.

"Scars are pretty damn awesome - not the getting of them, but having them. They're pretty and they tell stories. Shows we've lived properly." - Gwen Fyfe

I'm currently 38 but have plenty of scars to show. Some are physical (I have plenty of scar tissue from the boob cancer surgery). Some are mental (I hate the stupid fibro/Sjogren's fog when it rolls around, not to mention the processing lag time I have from chemo brain changes that have lingered for almost 8 years). Some are emotional (although my dad was a bit mentally off in his later years and hadn't seen me in a few years when I last visited, I am still amazed that he shut his front door in my bald-headed puffy chemo face after 15 seconds of conversation).

Some days I feel like I'm 900 years old like Yoda there. Some days I feel as chipper as Dr. Time Lord there. Some days, a few of the scars show. Some days they don't. Naturally as a breast cancer survivor, I've heard talk of our scars being badges of honor. How very Klingon. Reminds me of General Martok in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, after losing his left eye. He doesn't wear an eyepatch. He shows that scar for everyone to see. We've been watching lots of DS9 lately thanks to Netflix, and we're almost to the point of when Sisko loses the station. Unlike the disappointed Netflix customers, hubby and I never bothered to do the DVD side since it seemed like more of a pain in the ass than anything else, though easy to do. We've only had streaming and have been very happy with it. Streaming is cool. Ooh, tangent.

Not to glorify the getting of scars, but the only mention of scars being desirable that I can recall having read about was in my overall leather education via Saddleback Leather. (SBL makes incredible quality leather awesomeness in the U.S.A. backed by a 100 year warranty. Yes, really. The Chamberlain's Leather Milk there rocks the Casbah, too.) Leather 101 mentions that, "Your bag may have a few small scars and imperfections, but those just lend a tremendous amount of character to it." The Questions page even includes information on how some scars are more valuable and sought after than other scars. (Scroll down to the bottom and go up a tiny bit.)

My small SBL chestnut satchel has had quite a few scratches on it, but that's the thing about full grain leather - the more it is used and is properly cared for while aging, the more character it gets. Character gets made from scars. Having character is cool. It's not like flaunting the hip seasonal trendy purses made in China that don't last and might contain lead in the coloring. It's not like paying for an uber-expensive designer label for showing off whatever status you want other people to think you have (regardless of actual status, which people shouldn't give a fuck about anyway). Character, like SBL products, exudes perfection in quality imperfection. It's designed to last and be shown and used instead of being set aside like so much Fonzie.

No comments:

Post a Comment