Saturday, May 5, 2012

I am distraught.

I thought I was distraught yesterday (Friday) when I found out about the passing of M.C.A. (who will always have more rhymes than Carl Sagan's got turtlenecks). That was nothing compared to my shock a few hours later learning about the senseless death of Lightning Medicine Cloud.

Long story short, a non-albino white bison is a rarity, and one with a dark nose, eyes, and tail tip is an extreme rarity. One was born not quite a year ago, and was murdered very recently. His mother was killed not long after, and his father had died a few weeks prior from a lightning strike. I will lose my shit if I say anything else right now, so here are some news links:



My husband is part Native American (Lakota/Cherokee) and is pretty horrified at this, as are several of my Native friends (especially a dear college friend who is Cherokee and brought this to my attention, which amazes me as she's in Florida and I'm a short drive away to Lightning Medicine Cloud's home in the North Texas area). (I'm not a Native, though according to several people I could pass for one by looks alone.) I am so grateful to have been present at LMC's naming ceremony and dedication, and I have many photos I need to process and share sometime soon. I have many swirling emotions about this whole situation, and I am grieving over all of this way more deeply than most people will ever know, because I've been involved with people in shamanic fields of study, and omg the implications. I plan to attend the memorial pow-wow this coming weekend, and I pray that karma acts swiftly with those involved in these murders.

I came across this while looking for new news on the situation, and wanted to share. Mitakuye Oyasin.


No comments:

Post a Comment