Wednesday, December 7, 2011

These giraffes cannot run 35 mph (56 kph)

First, a shout out to Lemuel J. Lott, for fixing my iPhone 3GS voicemail. Whoop whoop! I should've asked if he could repair the power button on the phone since that's been extremely wonky lately, but there's a local place that can fix it for fairly cheap with a 15 minute in person turnaround time. I've got to go there soon.

Nothing screams out Korean sauna
with fire sudatorium and food court
like a family of giraffes, right?
I've been curious about this family of giraffes for a few years, and my curiosity was peaked this summer when I drove by at night and noticed the festive giraffery. I took a few minutes out of my commute to snap this amazing marketing tool, and visited the King Spa website just now. Holy crap, this place looks awesome on the inside! Not what I'd expected.

I'm not surprised that this is in the Asian Trade District, but giraffes? Maybe it's the African connection to the Pyramid room they have, or something. Someone who visited it had some good things to say about her experience there. I may have to try this soon. After we finish moving across town. (OMG I loathe packing.) I'm kinda meh when it comes to Korean food but I love that the menu offers the mighty and noble corn dog.

Hopefully by then I'll have scored a full-time jobby job that I can do. I've been worrying about this since I left my last job due to health issues (yay discovery of having Sjogren's Syndrome), but there are plenty of things out there that I'm totally able to do without wearing myself out. Basic admin stuff, for the most part. (EDIT:  I really want to work full time again but still worry about my body crapping out from whenever the uber-fatigue hits. I truly don't know if I'll be able to but I'd love to find out. I'd love to also see about working more hours part time. I am all for that right now. Bills don't pay themselves. I digress.)

Thing is, I'm WAY overqualified to be a basic admin, and I've had no luck with applications for that and similar positions. Even applications for jobs at the level I was at have gone mostly nowhere. I've had three in person interviews since March. Three. Total. The few very considerate rejection notes I've received were nice, but I'm really tired of being frustrated with not bringing in a decent income. Being on UI (at Tier One federal level now, yay) has helped, but gah I'm so not used to not working! At least I've had nine months to recuperate from pushing myself way too hard for several years, with having Sjogren's but not knowing I've had it.

Speaking of jobbing, I am very grateful to a friend of mine for hooking me up with a job helping him and others. It's basically organizing and filing sheet music (a LOT of sheet music for a LOT of instruments), but it is craziness how scattered everything has gotten due to being too busy to file from doing lots of liturgies (services, for you non-Catholics) so I'm glad to help, even if only for five hours a week. I'm even more glad to get paid extremely well for filing, but I do have a music education degree plus spent five years working in liturgy at the diocesan level so I'm sure some of that compensation is for my expertise. It's so wonderful being back in music again, even though I've had no experience with orchestral anything aside from coordinating brass musicians, listening to music, and observing my husband practicing the violin a few years ago. Yay for learning a new job skill!

No comments:

Post a Comment